This is a place to make comments, ask questions and generally shoot the Bull about the Cricket Air Hammer.

[Current Page Bottom]

[Cricket Forum Page Bottom]

12/10/2017 12:58:09 AM
View user profile for David Hammer
Total Posts 17

Origins of the Cricket

Thanks for your interest in the Cricket.  It has been an experiment for me.  My initial efforts were to learn how an air hammer Air Circuit works, followed by building a small air hammer to apply that knowledge.

It's been quite a journey...  Over a year of effort now.  

I started posting to Facebook about it when I started working on the hammer in April (2017). 

There was a fair amount of interest in the hammer because it is small and easy to build, so I decided to share what I learned.

I'm happy to answer any questions on Facebook, this forum or inquires sent through the Contact link.

2/1/2018 9:34:07 AM
View user profile for GBrackett
Total Posts 3

Re: Origins of the Cricket

What is the foot print dimension of the unit, and its height requirementd? My shop is very small with a lot of electrical power, but space is of concern in it. Thank you!
2/1/2018 12:41:26 PM
Total Posts 17

The footprint of the original Cricket is only 13 by 15 inches....  plus the room the treadle takes.  It needs to be bolted down so it doesn't move around, so about 3 inches need to be added to one of those numbers (for angle iron).    

The original Cricket is only 53 inches tall, but when you make yours, you may want it a few inches taller to get the forging level where you want it.

This is a build it yourself hammer so you can pretty much make it the size you want it.  

The reason the original Cricket is the size it is.....   is because those were the materials I had on hand to build it.

2/1/2018 4:43:45 PM
Total Posts 3

That size with the foot control would fit exactly where I currently have my air assisted bottle jack press. I would just have to give the bottle jack one away to a beginner. It has 4 sets of 2x4 dies I made for it two. Thank you for your help, and putting this information out for use to use. If it is OK I would like to post this in my other groups. Regards, George
2/1/2018 5:40:40 PM
Total Posts 17

You are welcome to share all for others to see.

2/1/2018 9:22:15 PM
Total Posts 3

Thank you I will tomorrow. Goodnight!
4/6/2019 6:34:51 PM
View user profile for covey220
Total Posts 2

new to your forum--am interested in building you cricket--would like to come and visit--is that possible? my website is

www.evenandmary.com

i was also in Vietnam--check out 

http://www.evanandmary.com/540257/stories/

4/7/2019 8:58:28 PM
Total Posts 17

Evan....  I replied with an email...

4/7/2019 10:28:26 PM
View user profile for covey220
Total Posts 2

David--got an e-mail but not sure it was directly from you--it just says that you sent an e-mail--haven't gotten one directly from you yet--I know it's a lot to ask but if you don't want to give me a phone number could you call or text me so that we can talk ?--my phone number is 956-235-8910

thanks Evan

7/14/2019 3:39:41 PM
View user profile for BigJimsForge
Total Posts 2

Hello, New to the page and the Cricket site. Has anyone beside the creator (Dave) built one of these hammers yet? Dave you sound to me like a brain, I am not. In watching some of the video's when you begin to talk about parts and air circuits I find I don't have a clue what your talking about. I may be able to figure things out but just want to make sure it is doable by the average guy. I am a jack of all trades master of none kind of guy and would love to own one of these as I am handycapped to a point and getting worse. I love to forge but am limited in what I can do anymore.If it is possible for me to build I will. I have searched the web high and low to find someone who builds and sells a table top hammer as I am very limited in space (very small 1 car garage) I have not found anyone who sells a table top so it looks like I am stuck making one. Can you tell me how difficult it is to do? Is it something the average Joe can build? Would love to know how many people have built one from your plans if you know.